The Dutch Castles, historic Country Houses & Rural Estates Foundation (sKBL) aims to organize the first edition of the sKBL International Summer School in 2022.
Although many people may not associate the Netherlands with beautiful castles, historic country houses and large-scale rural estates, hundreds of these are scattered throughout the Dutch landscape. sKBL was founded in 2014 to contribute to the preservation of this valuable heritage and the (international) exchange of knowledge about these monuments. sKBL also aspires to create an international network of connoisseurs and professionals, which can be of great value to Dutch castles, country houses and rural estates.
The sKBL Summer School is open for participants from outside the Netherlands who do research on topics that relate to the preservation and conservation of monumental heritage. Students are welcome as well.
The language used during the Summer School is English. We aim to attract as many foreign participants as possible, therefore the number of Dutch participants will be limited. In the admission assessment, the Board of Governors will ensure that the composition of the group will be well-balanced. Students are also welcome. The substantive programme also offers opportunities for discussions and reflection. The programme may be changed due to circumstances. The organisation of the Summer School does not (yet) have scholarships.
- Every participant is required to have a demonstrable professional involvement in fields that relate to the preservation or maintenance of castles, historic country houses and rural estates. This may be a scientific or other similarly professional or intellectual engagement. Other relevant (work) experience may also lead to admission. The Board of Governors of the sKBL Summer School will assess the admissions.
- All participants are required to submit a curriculum vitae with both a motivation letter and letters of recommendation (in English).
- Every participant must be able to demonstrate that they speak English.
- Every participant must have completed, or must be currently enrolled in, higher professional education, academic education or a similar education. The Board of Governors reserves the right to deviate from this rule.
- Participants must be physically able to join this intensive programme.
- The sKBL Summer School is not in any way responsible for accidents or theft during this programme. We advise every participant to take an individual travel or cancellation insurance.
If you have any further questions on the study programme or any other practical questions, please send an e-mail to Lenneke Berkhout; firstname.lastname@example.org.